So, with exams over for us both :D, I figured I should get posting and what better way to start it all off, than with a tutorial on a subject very dear to my heart - Ork Boyz!
This is an in depth and detailed tutorial for painting an Ork Boy in the Evil Sunz colours complete with high resolution images and detailed instructions. Full tutorial after the jump...
So, we start with an assembled Ork Boy who has been based with sand and then spray painted black. I should probably mention that most of my paints are still the old versions - so I'll use those names and the name in the brackets is the equivalent taken from the chart.
|Assembled and Undercoated|
2. Now we need to drybrush a layer of Knarloc Green (Loren Forest). We do this by taking an older, more mangled brush and putting a small amount of paint onto it, then wipe most of it off until you are left with just a little bit. You then brush that over the skin sections so that it only paints the raised sections, leaving the Orkhide Shade (Caliban Green) showing through in the crevices.
3. If you want this brighter look then the next step is to take Goblin Green (Warboss Green) and using a detail/fine detail brush paint on highlights onto the raised areas of the skin. If you follow the lines that appear when you drybrushed it, it makes it easier. The idea is to leave the Orkhide Shade (Caliban Green) and the Knarloc Green (Loren Forest) showing through beneath it. At first it looks pretty garish and I find that just taking your finger and smudging it a little bit really helps keep it looking more natural - it's gonna get dirty at some point ;)
|Skin Given Secondary Highlights|
|Red Areas Painted|
|Metal Areas Painted|
|Metal Areas Washed Down|
|Red Areas and Metal Areas Washed|
13. Teeth, nails and eyes - paint the teeth and nails with Bleached Bone (Ushabti Bone) and the eyes with Blood Red (Evil Sunz Scarlet).
|Teeth, Nails and Eyes Painted|
14. At this point you're pretty much done - all that's left is the base. There are loads of different colour schemes, but this is the one that looks like the one on the box (I also think it complements the model really nicely) You start with Bestial Brown (Mournfang Brown). Paint all the sand, filling in all the gaps.
15. Once that is completely dry (and I mean completely, I've had to start again so many times because of that) you need to drybrush the sand with Bubonic Brown (Zamesi Desert) leaving the layer below still showing.
16. Again, once that layer is completely dry, you can add the final layer by drybrushing Bleached Bone (Ushabti Bone) over the top.
17. Finally just fill in the edge of the base with Graveyard Earth (Steel Legion Drab), and you're finished!